Sunday, February 28, 2010

I've recently moved into a new house...?

and I've got a piece of kitchen worktop which I was going to mount onto a wall to use as a large desk. Unfortunatley my wonderful new landlord would rather me not drill into the wall so any ideas anyone has as to how I could get this thing done and stable enough to hold quite a lot of electrical equipment would really be appreciated


Please and thank you =]I've recently moved into a new house...?
You could build a frame to mount the worktop. Frames made out of 2x4 would support the weight of the worktop and your equipment. Make 4 sided boxes for the two ends and the back (you could enclose the ends with plywood or drywall for a more professional look). Bolt or nail the sides and back together (bolts would be better, if you move, you can dis-assemble the unit). Depending on the length of the worktop you should at least have a 2x4 across the front top of the frame, if it is really long, you may need to add a 2x4 across the bottom with a brace or two in the middle of the for support. After all this, then you can attach the worktop to the frame. You will basically be building a box.I've recently moved into a new house...?
Ikea do a great selection of legs from only 拢2 each. We've just used them to make a desk with similar limitations. They're very sturdy and will cope with the load.
Home Depot and Lowe's sell the legs also , we don't have an IKEA here, but Lowes has them cheapest.
Ikea sell various legs, such as trestles or screw-in ones. I use the latter for my desk so I can take it outseide for BBQs in summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment